Firstly, it is extremely important to make sure that your coil is ‘primed’ properly before using it. Coil priming is important because it increases the lifespan of the coil and reduces the chance of the coil burning out straight away. Simply follow these simple steps below to prime your coil properly:
- Drip a few drops of juice onto the top of the coil, allowing the cotton within to soak it up between drips, and continue dripping until the white cotton through the side holes is saturated. If you have too much liquid, simply flick your coil to force it out.
- Then, the coil can be refitted into the tank/pod and you can add liquid to the tank/pod.
- Allow your device to stand upright for a few minutes to allow the liquid to soak into the cotton completely.
- Take a few "primer puffs," or puffs when you vape but do not ignite your device; this method pushes the liquid up and over the cotton, allowing for more surface area soaking.
- If your device lets you change the wattage, set it to the lowest recommended level for your coil and fire.
- Increase the wattage gradually until you reach your desired level.
- You're done! Your coil is now primed.
A quick tip
If your device ‘spits’ liquid back at you and makes a gurgling sound when you vape it, you've most likely flooded your coil. This can happen if the device has been inactive for a long time or if there is too much liquid in the coil from the priming process.
If this occurs then remove your mouthpiece (if possible) and continue to flick your device downward towards the floor (do this outside to avoid making a mess). This straightforward procedure will remove extra liquid from the coil, eliminating spitback or an unpleasant gurgling sound the next time you use your device.
The importance of proper coil priming
The coil is an essential component of your vape. In reality, your coil is the heating device that transforms your liquid into inhalable vapour. Coils are typically made up of a heating element that is enclosed in cotton. When you turn on your device, the cotton absorbs and holds the liquid inside, allowing it to vaporise.
When to replace your coils
Coils are not indestructible and will need to be replaced at some point. The period of time between changing your coil is influenced by a number of factors. The frequency with which you use your device, the power setting you use, the e-liquid you use, and other factors all influence the longevity of your coil. As a general guideline, it’s time to replace your coil when your vape tastes burnt (like burnt toast!) rather than the flavour of e-liquid you are vaping.